Thursday, June 30, 2005

Early Bird Special

I love mornings.

I went in to work early yesterday; 6 a.m., to work on a special
project. That's my old schedule, 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., and it's a great
one.

I set the alarm for 4:30 a.m. but was up at 4 on my own. Sure, there
are times when I need more sleep on that schedule. Either I've stayed
up late to many times, or the weight of the world interrupts with
anxiety dreams. But usually it's a schedule one gets used to.

It used to be people went to bed when it got dark out, and slept until
light. That seems like to much sleep to me. Lying in bed half asleep,
turning things over in my half awake brain... well, I'd rather get up
and do the dishes, pay bills, and check up on my email.

Going to bed a 10 p.m. is hard (no thanks to <i>Law and Order</i>).
Naps must be avoided. The urge to take a nap usually passes after a few
minutes. Like the urge to smoke. It seems so strong in the moment, but
ten minutes later it's all but forgotten.

I like the early morning quiet. No phone calls. My son is asleep and
doesn't need something to eat, yet (non stop teenage eating machine!).
The mind is sharp and focussed.

The older I get the easier it is to get up early. I seem to need less
sleep than most people. 6 hours is fine. 7 is plenty. Occasionally I'll
sleep 8, but it's surprisingly not very restful. Besides, it's easier
to fall asleep if you're a little sleep deprived...

No comments: